Thursday, March 18, 2010

Questions about Great Expectations

I guess one of the things that I didn't really understand in this chapter was in chapter 44 on page 387 in my book. What i don't understand is why is Pip asking Miss Havisham to pay the rest of the money needed for Herbert? I understand that he is trying to help make things right between Mathew Pocket and his family, and help her understand that they are not like the Pockets lurk around Miss Havishams house. But I'm not sure why he is trying to get her to pay for Herbert's Business.

1 comment:

  1. I think he turns to Miss Havisham, especially at this point after Estella has basically spat in her face, to one, as you said to begin to tentatively rebuild that bond between the Pockets and Ms.H. Also, I think, he went to Ms.H because she was, at least to a point, devastated by Estella's coldness. So Pip not only tried to make Ms.H feel like she was actually doing good, but also tried to get money out of her while she was feeling somewhat despised to, in his mind, pay back Herbert for all he's done.

    ReplyDelete